Info for New Caregivers
Do you think you are a caregiver?
Your first step can be to call 1-877-222-3737 for more information on caregiving resources.
Caregiving is a role that over a million New Jerseyans perform. Caregivers have a wide range of responsibilities but ultimately they ensure services and safety for their loved ones. As a new caregiver, you may not know where to start. You are not alone, help is available, a lot of which can be found through the Department of Human Services and your local Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) by calling 1-877-222-3737.
Caregivers face a multitude of challenges. If you are new to caregiving, you may be interested in learning about the following topics.
- Respite - A Break for the Caregiver: Respite care services provide caregivers with a break from caregiving. Caregivers often use this break to spend time with other family members, address their own needs, or simply take some well-deserved time off.
- Caregiver Support Groups & Wellness Programs: Caregivers must care for themselves in order to effectively help others. Although this is one of the most important things a caregiver can do, it is also one of the most often forgotten. Caregiver support groups and wellness programs are a great option for caregivers who wish to take control of their own health in a way that benefits both them and their care recipient
- Finding Care for my Loved One: One of the best ways to provide relief for a caregiver is to direct them towards resources for the person they care for. There are a number of programs available in New Jersey that assist caregivers through the provision of services to care recipients.
- Financial Resources for Caregivers: Caring for an individual who is sick, elderly, or has a disability, whether at home or in an institutional setting, is extremely costly. Many caregivers spend their own money on expenses related to caring. Caregivers often need financial assistance to foster a healthy caregiving relationship.
- Caregiver Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)